Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Song of Songs or Song of Solomon 1

**I LOVE this book. It's so romantic. This is seriously some of the most poetic and beautiful, and GRAPHIC love poetry there is. I love the fact that this book is in the Bible. It shows what love between a husband and wife should be like, and it shows that God created love, marriage, and sex in marriage, and that they are GOOD!

SOS 1

In the first chapter, so much happens. It is established that the Beloved and her Lover (King Solomon and his wife) are madly in love. I love it when she says that his "name is like perfume poured out."

Also, the woman tells her story. She's had a hard life. She's had to work hard, and she's been mistreated and abused by her own family. She evens says that she tended other vineyards, "my own vineyard I have neglected." I think that one statement is so powerful. It's so like women that when we go through hard things to put everyone else first, and to put ourselves on the back burner...neglect ourselves. But she is a woman who overcomes. She obviously repairs her vineyard, because later on, she talk about giving all of its choice fruits to her lover.

And lastly, I laugh out loud reading the last line spoken by the lover (husband). It says, "The beams of our house are cedars; our rafters are firs." It cracks me up because if he's noticing the beams of their house...it means that they are just laying in bed together, enjoying the pillowtalk!

Commentary: I think that not only is this beautiful writing describing a real love story, but it's also so relevant. So many women today have been hurt in past relationships, and we have this crazy idea that it's romantic for another guy to have to pay the price for that pain and if he hangs around long enough and gets through our walls, he might get to really see us. Well, I just don't think that romantic or fair. Jesus came as our Lord and Savior so that we can be healed of emotional pains of the past when we give them to Him. Then, we can do what He planned and offer our vineyard (ourselves), whole and healed to the man that He prepared for us. Two people who make each other better, not two crutches trying to hold each other up.

Love is a powerful thing. God knows...He invented it, and He is LOVE! :)

1 comment:

  1. I just read SOS 1 and after reading your thoughts...I understood it that much better. It's a bit hard for me to break down the verse and see the meaning behind it.

    I thought it was beautiful too.

    "Pleasing is the fragrance of your perfumes;
    your name is like perfume poured out."
    The verse upbove was my favorite. How beautiful and sweet.

    ReplyDelete