Thursday, January 29, 2009

Song of Solomon 2

Ok, now for Chapter 2!!

"His left arm is under my head, and his right arm embraces me.

Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you by the gazelles and by the does of the field: Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires. "

This is just such beautiful love poetry, but it also has meaning behind it. The second verse above is repeated over and over again in the SOS book by the Beloved to her court of young friends. And it's so true even today. So many people are in love with the idea of being in love. They settle, they rush things. But she says over and over "Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires." This is an important warning. It reminds me of my mother always telling me never to date anyone I knew I couldn't marry. The truth is that we can fall in love with the wrong person. And that only leads to heartache. But if we wait for the one that God has created for us, then our love is like this book...a celebration.

"See! The winter is past; the rains are over and gone. Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come, the cooing of doves is heard in our land. The fig tree forms its early fruit; the blossoming vines spread their fragrance. Arise, come, my darling; my beautiful one, come with me."

I LOVE this part. We already know from Chapter 1 that this woman has had a rough life at times. And here is her lover, her knight in shining armor, saying, "The winter is past, the rains are over and gone....come with me!" Can't you just envision his hand extended to her? Can't you feel the thrill of that touch as she places her hand in his...knowing all she's been through, all the work she's done to be whole again, and all the waiting for her perfect one. I think all women want security and adventure, and this man is offering her both with one hand!

"Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom"

THIS VERSE IS IMPORTANT! I have thought a lot about this verse many times. There is a place later in this book that talks about the husband's job, and I really think that this one verse says a lot to wives about their job. He is telling the wife, "catch for US the LITTLE foxes that ruin vineyards."

I really think he's talking about the small, daily things that over time, ruin marriages. As I read this, I think it means that wives are to be discerning about the "little things" in our marriage, and we are to tend that vineyard and to keep Satan's little foxes from trying to destroy the harvest. What could those little foxes be? Petty arguments, harsh words, thoughtlessness, not resolving issues when they arise...anything that might seem small at the time, but can grow into a marriage killer. And the Bible labels this as the job of the wife!! That's a big responsibility, and I admit that I'm not always good at it. Lord, help me to catch those little foxes and protect what you've planted in our marriage.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment