Wednesday, January 7, 2009

January 7th, 2009--Day 3

**On a side note, I worked out at the Y yesterday...loved it and am sore. God is helping me with exercise and eating, and I am proud to say that I am being obedient! My workout playlist is as follows (it's not that spiritual, but it helps me bike faster!)

Harder to Breathe-Maroon 5

Saving Me-Nickelback

Smooth Criminal-Alien Ant Farm

4 minutes-Madonna and J Timberlake

Watch Me Shine-Legally Blonde Soundtrack
Those are just a few...I'm about to add some Kirk Franklin, etc so i can work out and praise Him! If anyone has any suggestions, let me know!

Ruth 3

Have I mentioned that I LOVE this story. In Ruth 3, Naomi does some holy ghost scheming, and tells Ruth to go down to the threshing floor, and after Boaz is asleep to uncover his feet, and lay down below him. This is so funny to me. She knows cold feet will wake him up, and then he'll see Ruth, and get to talk to her privately. I love soap operas, so I'm giving some real props to Naomi here.

Boaz is so moved that Ruth really likes him and has done this, that he decides to become her kinsman redeemer and marry her, after checking with another man who has first dibs. And he goes and does this right away. He's so enthralled with her...he can't wait! This is romantic, people!

And I love that Ruth's life is absolutely turning around. She could've stayed in Moab and maybe she would've met some other man, but we know he wouldn't have been a godly man, because the moabites were pagans. Ruth was a pagan, until she made a decision to leave her old life and trust God. And God didn't take long to reward her with an EPIC love story. A love story that was written down for the ages, and eventually had a part in the birth of Jesus Christ. Love it, love it!

Psalm 3

I love how psalm 3 describes the Lord as "a shield around me" and "the lifter of my head." These things are so true of the Lord in my life.

Also love:
"I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.
I will not fear the tens of thousands drawn up against me on every side"


Protection and rest, and freedom from fear...so my God!

John 2

At first in this reading, Jesus is at a wedding with his family and friends. He hasn't done any miracles yet. His first miracle is done at the wedding, turning water into wine (some Christians don't like this story so much, but he did it people!)

Anyway, what I love is that when his mother asks him to do it, he says, "My time has not come yet." But his mother is sure of his love and devotion to her, and she tells the servants to do whatever he tells them to do. And Jesus does it!

Get this: I love 2 things about this story...

1) We can ask God for things in prayer, and even if the timing is exactly right, if we persist, He can make it so.

2) His mother's words are soooo true! "Do WHATEVER He tells you!" I think if people, myself especially, could just get that...doing WHATEVER God tells me to do, our lives would be so much better!

Help me listen and obey, Lord!

**I think the theme of the day is listening and obeying. Ruth listened and obeyed Naomi (her godly influence), and the servants listened and obeyed Jesus. Doing this provides us with the blessings of Psalm 3...protection, rest, and freedom from fear. (Not to mention, crazy passionate love stories and sometimes good wine) It's in scripture, people! :)

2 comments:

  1. you are way ahead of me girl. i'm getting there! you will be happy to know i worked out two nights ago and i'm working out again tonight in our company gym! i'm on a mission to loose 30-40 pounds!!!! :-) keep up the good work! we can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're blog was great! I love how you are able to tie all three passages together. I didn't even see that. I'm still learning how to read the meanings behind these stories. I'm getting there.

    I've never read these scriptures like this so ths is great for me! Keep up the great work at the Y. It's so worth it :-)

    ReplyDelete