Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year...Blank Slate (Luke 6)

Happy New Year!!

I love new year's eve! It's a time of reflection on the past, and looking forward to the future...with HOPE and determination.

God has plans for everyone, and every minute, day, month, and year matters! In fact, God is really into numbers (there is a whole book of the bible devoted to them!) :) So, I looked up biblically what the number 11 means, and I think it's so interesting and very appropriate!

Eleven means, "dealing with imperfect things, disorder, or chaos."

W-O-W!! Can I get an AMEN?!!

My prayer right now, is YES GOD...let's deal with all the imperfect things, the disorder, and the chaos in my life, and let's do it THIS YEAR!! He is the only one who can make all those things straight and perfect, and I want them that way. I want His best!

So, how is it going to happen this year? Well, interestingly enough, I think Luke 6 gives us some clues:

Near the beginning of Luke 6 we find Jesus praying all night long, and THEN selecting his disciples. After this, his ministry really takes off...huge crowds, miracles, etc.

1. We have to PRAY!
We can't get direction from God if we don't talk to Him. And we not only talk, but LISTEN, and then OBEY. Life can get so hectic sometimes, but this year I'm really going to focus on prayer, and intimate relationship with the Lord of the Universe, Jesus Christ. If I don't have that, I'll always be off balance, and never truly in the right place to receive what He has for me.

2. We have to be very selective about how we allow to be around us in an influential way.
The Bible encourages us to be loving and kind to everyone, so I don't mean that we should exclude people. HOWEVER...we have to be very selective about who we allow into our inner circle...because it's those people who influence for good or bad on a regular basis. If you surround yourselves with positive people, you will be optimistic. If you surround yourselves with negative people, you will always see the glass as half-empty. Jesus was very careful in who he selected to be his disciples. He knew that not everyone could walk the path of his life WITH Him. And just like Jesus, not everyone is called to our lives. But thank God he has ordained certain people to walk this pilgrimage with us. Let's seek them out, and hold them dear.

And THEN, Jesus addresses the crowd with beautiful words of hope that are just as relevant to us now as we see the end of one year, and the beginning of a new one!

"Blessed are you who are poor (now), for yours is the kingdom of God.
Blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be satisfied.
Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh.
Blessed are you when people hate you, when they exclude you and insult you, and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man."

Can't you just hear Jesus saying, "I know that you have struggled financially, but look ahead. I know you hunger for more out of this life than you've had this past year, but look ahead. I've seen you weeping this past year, weighed down with sorrows, but this year you will laugh and be happy. I know that people have mistreated you, cheated you, and hurt you, BUT I AM YOUR GOD. LOOK AHEAD!

Let's all co-operate with God this year to remove the chaos from our lives...the things that don't work, and aren't pleasing to Him. He promises in the end of Luke 6 that if we hear his word, and do what it says, that we will be like a person who builds their house on a rock. When the storms come, the house is secure.

Come Lord, Jesus, and make this year beautiful like none other! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment