Friday, December 10, 2010

Luke 3--Thirty Anyone?

Luke 3 is mostly about John the Baptist, who was a fascinating man. He wasn't afraid at all to tell people the truth, and he certainly did prepare the way for the coming Christ. There are so many things I love about him, but today, I want to blog about one sentence that has to do with Jesus.

Near the end of the Chapter it says that Jesus BEGAN his ministry around the age of thirty. That struck me today...probably because I'm thirty! :)

People our age make such a big deal about turning thirty, and it being "old." But I just found HUGE satisfaction in realizing that the son of God didn't even START what he was sent to do on this earth until he was thirty years old!! What a comfort!

People act like their life is over as they reach 30 and beyond...like the best days are behind them. I completely disagree! I have some wonderful memories from my life (high school and college days, married life before kids, etc), but you couldn't PAY me to go back! I love my life now. I love myself now! I love that I know more of who I am now than I ever have. I have strong opinions, and they are MINE (not my parents' and not my friends').

Now have I arrived, and done all I want? Of course not! But that's the point of this scripture! So, no matter what kind of life, what kind of mistakes, what kind of career, etc that you've had...you're not stuck, and you're not old. It's no where near over or all decided. Life begins at 30, and I feel more conscious of everything now than I ever have.

And just like Jesus started his purpose in this time of life, I look forward to God leading me into what I am supposed to become. I think that will only happen if I start asking myself and God some hard questions, and making sure that all of my actions are really what I want.

Life has seasons, and God understands them all. I don't want to just live my life. I want to be truly ALIVE in all seasons of my life...allowing God to have His way!

Happy Birthday Jesus, and all the Thirties! :)

1 comment:

  1. That is a good way to look at turning 30. I have 5 months until the big day. I really do agree. Now that we are older we have a better understanding of who we are as individuals. I would never trade my younger days for my life now with my boys. I have so much to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete