Friday, December 17, 2010

Luke 4--Testing

Last time I wrote about Jesus beginning his ministry at the age of thirty. Luke details the beginning of that ministry, and I think it's interesting that Jesus didn't start with a miracle. Before any of the signs and wonders or preaching takes place, he is baptized and then is tested in the wilderness for a period of time.

Have you ever felt like you were being tested? If it happened to the Son of God, you better believe it happens to us. But I think we can learn a lot from Jesus in the wilderness.

First of all, Satan came to Jesus while he was alone. Don't you know that some of the biggest tests of our lives, our character, and our relationship to God come when we feel isolated?! Lonliness can make us desperate from comfort of any kind (drugs or alcohol, overeating, tv binges, bad relationships, or anything that we feel like numbs the pain of being all alone). How we handle lonliness can absolutely be a test, and that is why church is so important. Can you have a good relationship with God without church? Absolutely. BUT...the wolf seeks to eat the sheep that is alone (far from the group, and far from the shepherd). Surrounding ourselves with godly and loving people is wisdom, and that is why God gave us his church.

Next, when Satan talks to Jesus he talks in half-truths. The bible says that Satan is the father of all lies. We know he's a liar! But he is deceptive and sometimes we believe his lies because there is a little bit of truth to them. For instance, I know that I'm being influenced by evil when my thoughts turn sour about others or myself. Words like "ALWAYS and NEVER" are key words for me to know that the devil is talking to me. "He always does this to me!" or "He never does what he's supposed to!" or "I'm always going to feel this way or be this way." Those words are extremes that are not the truth, and lead to stinkin' thinkin'! :)

So, how did Jesus deal with Satan? He used scripture!! This is a huge key to success!! Over the years I've found bible verses that are "MINE." What I mean by that is they have become my own keys to success and peace, and I use them like a weapon whenever Satan attacks me. The bible is called the Sword of the Spirit...it's a weapon!!

If I'm struggling in an area, I find a verse that speaks to that issue, and then I memorize it, and say it out loud whenever I feel attacked in my thoughts.

When I have thoughts about bad things happening to me, Bart or my kids: PROVERBS 3: 25-26

When I'm worried about money: PHILIPPIANS 4:19 and PSALM 37: 25

When I'm feeling sad or heartbroken: PSALM 34:18

The list goes on...but the point is to find a verse that becomes my own for each issue. And as I say it out loud over and over again, my faith is built, and I'm set free. And then eventually, just like Satan left Jesus, he leaves me, and I pass the test.

Martha Washington once said, "The greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not our circumstances."

I think if we choose to react like Christ did, there is no circumstance in life that defeat us.

Here's to passing all our tests!

No comments:

Post a Comment